How to Avoid Burning Down Your House With Bad Wiring


As a homeowner, one of the scariest things you can imagine is a fire starting in your house due to faulty electrical wiring. However, there are steps you can take to prevent this from happening. In this article, I will provide an in-depth look at how to avoid burning down your house with bad wiring.

Regularly Check Your Electrical Panel

The electrical panel, or breaker box, controls and protects all the electricity in your home. It's important to periodically inspect it to ensure all is working properly. Here's what I do to check my electrical panel:

Regularly checking the electrical panel takes just a few minutes but can prevent a tragedy. Pay close attention to any signs of damage or malfunction.

Hire a Licensed Electrician for Any Major Work

While I can handle basic electrical repairs myself, I make sure to call in a licensed pro for any major electrical work. Improper wiring is the most common cause of electrical fires.

Here are some signs it's time to hire an electrician:

Licensed electricians have the expertise to:

Paying a professional is worthwhile to avoid faulty DIY wiring that could start a fire.

Upgrade Old or Damaged Wiring

If my home has very old wiring or I discover damaged wiring, I make upgrading a priority. Problems like:

Replacing old wiring seems costly, but compares tiny to the expense and heartbreak of rebuilding after a home fire.

Install Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCIs)

AFCIs are advanced circuit breakers that shut off power when a dangerous electrical arc occurs. Arcing causes many fires.

In Summary

Electrical fires are preventable with proper maintenance and safety upgrades. I follow these guidelines to keep my home and family safe:

Taking these preventative measures provides peace of mind that my electrical system won't be the source of a devastating house fire.