Getting repeatedly shocked every time I plug something into an outlet or switch on a light is incredibly frustrating. The small jolt of electricity is harmless but annoying and concerning. I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands and rewire my outlets and lights to stop the shocking for good.

Assessing the Electrical Issues in My Home

Before beginning any electrical project, safety should always come first. I made sure to turn off the main circuit breaker before assessing the issues in my home's electrical system. Here are the problems I discovered:

These symptoms made it clear my home's electrical wiring needed an upgrade.

Buying the Right Materials

To rewire my outlets and lights, I needed to purchase some basic equipment and supplies:

I also made sure to pick up extra wire, outlets, switches, and breakers in case I needed them. Safety gear like gloves and goggles were essential too.

Rewiring the Outlets

With my new supplies in hand, I was ready to start rewiring. I began with the outlets:

1. Turn Off the Power

I turned off the circuit breaker for the room I was working in. I also used my voltage tester to double check that power was off.

2. Remove the Old Outlet

I unscrewed the cover plate and outlet from the electrical box then disconnected and removed the old wiring.

3. Install a New Electrical Box

If the old box was damaged, I installed a new sturdy metal one. This provided a secure housing for the wiring.

4. Feed the New Wiring

I threaded the new NM-B wire into the electrical box, being careful not to damage the insulation.

5. Connect the Wires

I used wire nuts to connect the hot (black), neutral (white), and ground (green) wires to their corresponding wires in the box.

6. Mount the New Outlet

I screwed the new outlet securely into the electrical box and replaced the cover plate.

7. Test and Restore Power

Once all outlets were replaced, I turned the circuit breaker back on, tested the outlets with my voltage tester, and plugged in appliances to make sure they functioned properly without shocking me.

Replacing Light Switches and Fixtures

Next I moved on to the lights that had been shocking me. The process was similar:

1. Turn Off Power at the Breaker

Safety first - I made sure all power was off before touching any wires.

2. Remove Old Switch/Light

I detached the cover plates, disconnected the wires, and removed the old switches and light fixtures.

3. Install New Electrical Boxes

I added new plastic or metal boxes to house the wiring for new switches and lights.

4. Run New Wiring

I fed the new NM-B wires from the electrical boxes to the switches, lights, and circuit breaker panel as needed.

5. Connect Wires

I matched up hot, neutral, and ground wires correctly using wire nuts.

6. Mount New Switches and Lights

New switches and updated light fixtures were securely installed.

7. Test and Restore Power

I turned the breaker back on, tested everything with my voltage tester, and flipped the switches to make sure all lights functioned properly without shocking me.

Conclusion: No More Shocks

While rewiring my home's outlets and lights was a major project, it was definitely worthwhile. By replacing damaged electrical boxes, outdated wiring, faulty connections, and grounding issues, I successfully stopped getting shocked every time I plugged in an appliance or turned on a light. My home's electrical system is now safer and up to code. I feel empowered knowing I was able to fix the issues myself using proper precautions and materials. If you're getting repeated electrical shocks in your home, inspect, test, and consider rewiring. Stay safe!